SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is the process of improving the quality & quantity of a website or webpage to increase traffic from search engines. It is a popular digital marketing technique followed by businesses, website owners, & digital marketing experts worldwide. SEO is all about fixing technical site errors, optimizing content & improving brand awareness.
What is Google SEO?
We all know Google is the most popular search engine on the web. So, if your website appears in Google index (a place where Google stores data of websites) then there may be a big chance to get traffic from Google. But, this does not mean your site scored 100 on 100 on Google.
To increase your site’s Google SEO score and to get more web traffic from Google you need to improve your website quality including; site design, site structure, content, technical development, and online business campaigns.
What is SEO in WordPress?
SEO in WordPress website is very much similar to optimization for any custom website. We can optimize WordPress sites manually by enabling https, optimizing resources; using CDN’s, minimizing codes, and correcting ON page errors. You can also do these things easily with plugins. There is an On Page SEO plugin called “Yoast SEO” which is very beneficial for WordPress website owners.
Below I will share with you some SEO basics that can help you to increase ranking of your website in search engines. Also, I will suggest some important tools that you can use to fix any errors on your site and boost traffic.
Here you will also know about two main types of seo techniques (white hat & black hat seo) & three main SEO methods (On Page Optimization, Off Page Optimization, & Technical Optimization).
SEO Techniques: White Hat Vs. Black Hat
The two most widely talked techniques White Hat SEO & Black Hat SEO. In White Hat seo it needs gradual improvement to your website content, code, & online promotion for long term success. And in Black Hat SEO people tries to rank fast in search engines using some unethical techniques & practices that search engines don’t accept which may result in temporarily or permanently getting a red flag or blocking of a website or webpage on search engines.
Remember, with white hat techniques and gradual improvement to your site can only bring you long term success.
SEO Optimization Methods:
The three major methods of SEO optimization are On Page SEO, Off Page SEO, & Technical SEO, which I will discuss in detail below.
What is On Page SEO?
On Page SEO sometimes called On-Site Search Engine Optimization is the technique of optimizing pages on a website. It involves practices to improve both the content and the HTML source code of a webpage. Here are some of the On Page SEO checklists to optimize your webpages.
On Page SEO Checklists:
- Write an eye catchy Title: Your page title plays a huge impact on user engagement in your post. Using an eye catchy title with all your important keywords can help you to improve on page seo.
- Set your main target keyword: After finalizing your main keyword don’t forget to include it in all important places like; your page title, heading (h1 tag), and in content. But remember don’t forcefully include any unnecessary repeating keywords which might drop ranking or exclude your page from search engine.
- Use Meta Description Tag: When your page appears in the search engine result page this Meta description tag helps your user to know about your webpage and what it contains.
- Use ALT tag in Images: Most of the search engine crawl images of a page looking at its ALT tag. Using the ALT tag you can describe your image to search engines which will help to show your images is search.
- Internal Linking: Internal linking between your website pages is one of the main things to check to improve on page seo. Internal linking helps search engines to understand your content and make a relation between them.
- Set a User-Friendly URL: Make a user-friendly URL (short, easy to remember, contain keywords that people use to search) for your webpages. Search engines love to show this user-friendly and easy to remember url “example.com/how-to-seo” to their users more than this complicated one “example.com/?p=1&id=this-is-small-guide-that-you-love-about-seo-blog-written”
What is Off Page SEO?
OFF Page SEO is the seo process done outside of your website. It includes; Digital Promotion, Backlink Building, Social Media Marketing, & Influencer Marketing. But here one thing you should make clear that if you made a great looking site with useful content then it may get promoted online automatically by your readers and other people.
What is Technical SEO?
A website should run on a good hosting server to perform well in search engines. Also, there are many other technical seo aspects that you need to take care of; Mobile Responsive Compatibility, Web Page Speed, Resource Optimization, Security, and many other things. You should find and fix technical SEO errors as soon as they are detected.
What is Local SEO?
Local SEO is the process of optimizing a website to appear for local search queries on various search engines and local directories. There are some common local seo techniques like; including local search terms on webpages, listing sites on maps (Google Maps, Bing Places, Apple Maps) & local directories (Google My Business, Yelp, Yahoo! Local) for the local audience within a geographical area.
Below are the 5 most essential and effective seo tools that can help you to analyse and improve your website seo score.
- Google Search Console: To check indexing status & optimizing visibility of your website.
- Google Analytics: Tracking & getting report of website traffic.
- Google PageSpeed Insights: To check your website performance on the web.
- Google Keyword Planner: To find relevant keywords for your business.
- Woorank SEO Checker: To review your website for any SEO issues.
If you are running a website and want to increase the visibility of your site on search engines then you should start doing it as soon as possible. You can also hire a seo specialists and marketing experts who have a good reputation for optimizing sites related to yours.
SEO takes time so, the earlier you start the better.
Above I have discussed some of the important aspects of seo with you. But it is not possible to cover all the things about search engines optimization in a single post. Because there are more than 200+ signals that search engines like Google uses to rank a website. So, I will try to cover the other key points in my next posts. If you liked this post you can share it with your friends or can ask anything related to seo in the comment below.